Took a trip to Publix yesterday for some groceries and saw that there was wild caught Alaskan Salmon on sale. Score! My fit tip - I usually plan and prepare meals in accordance to whatever is on sale to save money ;) Anyways, it just so happens as I was flipping through my mother's current issue of Eating Well Magazine there was a fabulous looking Apricot-Chile Glazed Salmon recipe that I just had to try!
Super easy, with only 4 ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes total from prep to plate. You really cannot go wrong with this delicious and healthy recipe.
Apricot-Chile Glazed Salmon
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy apricot-chile glazed salmon recipe marries fruit and chiles to make this easy grilled salmon mouthwateringly special. Use jam rather than preserves for a smoother, prettier glaze. Look for New Mexico chili powder in well-stocked supermarkets, online, or substitute your favorite red chili powder.
4 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
1. 2 tablespoons New Mexico red chili powder
2. 1/2 teaspoon salt
3. 1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds center-cut wild salmon (see Tip), skinned
4. 3 tablespoons apricot jam
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Oven Variation, below.)
2. Combine chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Rub onto both sides of salmon.
3. Place jam in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring, until melted.
4. Oil the grill rack. Grill the salmon 4 minutes, then turn it over. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the salmon with the jam. Close the grill; cook until the salmon easily flakes with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes more. To serve, cut into 4 portions.
1. Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) is considered the best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished and has a more stable population. Farmed salmon, including Atlantic, should be avoided, as it endangers the wild salmon population.
2. Oven Variation: Prepare through Step 3. Bake in a shallow baking pan at 350°F, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 215 Calories; 6 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 66 mg Cholesterol; 12 g Carbohydrates; 29 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 433 mg Sodium; 613 mg Potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (29% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), omega-3s