Follow me on Facebook!

Friday, February 27, 2015

Summer Salad

Hello my dears and happy Friday!  Today I would like to share with you a delicious and nutritious recipe I received from my sister's mother-in-law.  The first time I tried this yummy salad I was like OH. MY. GOSH.  It is just THAT good :)  So thank you very much Mrs. Kelderhouse for sharing your recipe with me and the family!

I figured I had to post it when I decided to make a big batch of Summer Salad for my co-workers to serve at our "For the Love of Diversity" Pot Luck Luncheon today.  Technically, we are supposed to, and I quote, "Bring your favorite dish, dessert and/or appetizer, that represents your Heritage or background as we take a trip around the buffet table!!" Well, heritage wise I am mostly German, Swedish, and surprisingly a little bit of Native American, but to be honest I consider myself "American" lol! #Merica! So, since this is a favorite dish of mine that has been introduced into our family, I thought it would be perfect to bring!


Summer Salad



Ingredients:
- 2 packages of Publix Coleslaw (Green Cabbage, Red Cabbage, and Carrots)
*Jimmie's mother uses freshly chopped cabbage but I took the easy way out haha!*
- 5 large Green Onions, chopped
- 1 package of Ramen Noodles, crushed (I used the chicken flavor)
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Kernals (I used Planters Dry Roasted)
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds, toasted

Dressing:
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (Jimmie's mother uses Peanut Oil)
- 3 tablespoons Pomegrante Red Wine Vinegar (Jimmie's mother uses regular)
- 2 teaspoons Truvia Sweetener (Jimmie's mother uses sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Ramen Noodle Flavor Pack

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Toast slivered almonds for about 4-5 minutes watching carefully so they do not burn.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients together (cabbage, chopped green onions, crushed Ramen Noodles, sunflower seed kernels, and toasted sliced almonds) in a large bowl.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together (oil, red wine vinegar, sweetener, salt, pepper, and Ramen Noodle flavor pack) in a small bowl or container.
- Pour dressing over salad prior to serving and mix throughout.
- Cover salad and refrigerate until you are ready to serve!




1 comment: